Dienstag, 4. Dezember 2012

TWD: Gingerbread Baby Cakes

I am moving - so this is my last post from my old kitchen.  I am used to cooking with gas what is not possible in the new house. No idea if I will ever get used to the induction cooker. I love the gas stove :o[
I'm going to miss it, as my whole apartment. However, the new one is wonderful. And I am going to get used to my new kitchen, too.
And: The new baking oven comes with pyrolysis (self)cleaning - so much looking forward!

Anyhow, the real topic today are Gingerbread Baby Cakes. I had to make some changes and adaption for this:

First, I have no baby-cake mold. And the flour-leftover I had was not enough for a whole recipe. So I made about 60% and filled the batter in pretty paper molds, more like for baby-pound cakes, but that was what I had (still) at hand. Calculating baking time was very difficult due to the different form and amount of batter in each mold. In the end it took about 45mins.

Than I had to sub the molasse as it is very uncommon in Austria. I used 3/4 maple syrup and 1/4 corn syrup, just what I had at hand. Hope it comes near what it should be.

I switched to ordinary sugar so I didn't have to open a new bag of brown sugar four days befor I move. I guess brown sugar is better, but the ordinary sugar did no harm.

I topped the cakes with "schudde buikjes" - a bread topping I recently buyed in Amsterdam. They come with speculos taste at this time of the year. Perfect match!


These cakes are very easy to make. The coffee taste is a bit more dominant than I am used to, maybe because there is no chocolate in it and most receipes I know use the coffee to support chocolate taste. The second unusual experience is that it is a bit spicy due to the black pepper and fresh ginger.

It is a bit uncommon, but really good and very seasonal.

For the recipe, have a look at Dorie Greenspan's book on pp. 247/248or head over to our host's blog Karen: Karen’s Kitchen Stories.

6 Kommentare:

  1. Oh, I thought it was chocolate chips on top of the cakes. That sounds interesting. And they look so cute done in a loaf pan. Good idea using those.
    Good luck with your move. Hope all goes well and you are up and baking again soon.

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Good luck with your move! Cute pans and kudos to you for pressing on and making the recipe work for you.

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. Cute looking cakes. I'm impressed that you were able to bake and blog so shortly before your move. When we moved, we also had to give up our gas stove. I still miss it. All the best in your new apartment.

    AntwortenLöschen
  4. Moving is tough. Enjoy your new apartment!
    Your loaf cakes look very sweet :-)

    AntwortenLöschen
  5. No chocolate? Did you use cocoa? Be careful moving ... Please stop by my blog and register for the cookbook giveaway going on through Sunday! Blessings, Catherine www.praycookblog.com

    AntwortenLöschen
  6. No wonder they were a hit at the office! No molasses which was the overly dominating flavor of these cakes. Glad they went over well.
    Enjoy your new home! :)

    AntwortenLöschen