Dienstag, 7. Juni 2011

TWD: Blueberry-Brown Sugar Plain Cake

 June has arrived! And with June came full summer - and berries! Blueberriess belong to my favourite fruits so I was very excited to bake this. I don't need no fancy dressed up cakes and torte. Give me a plain and simple cake, made with some of my favourite fruit, and you see me happy! Therefore - thanks to Cindy of Everyday Insanity who has chosen Blueberry-Brown Sugar Plain Cake for this week's TWD. Go to her page to have a look at the recipe or buy Dorie's book - you find it on page 36.

This cake is not only simple, but also fast in the making. I am sure it would also work with many other fruits and if you like it a bit dressier there are plenty of options that could work out fine - crumbles or just the most obvious, I guess. I am pretty sure my fellow bakers will show you other creative ideas.

I made one loaf that did work out fine. My baking time was a bit longer and the cake still turned out very very soft and mellow. I sprinkled the berries a bit with flour following Nicole's recommendation. Most berries sunk about into the middle of the cake so in the end it looked a bit marbled.
I also made six minis to have "test-pieces" and they did not work so well. I guess the problem is that the molds are a bit hard to handle because they have a heart-shaped bottom, so very humid batters tend so stick in the mold. I am sure, with ordinary muffin-cups it would have worked perfectly!

The cake did taste just great. It was so fast away from my office-kitchen that I had no time to take pictures of single pieces to show you the inner look of the cake. Therefore you must be satisfied with the pictures of cakes and mini-cakes in molds :o]

Verdict: Perfect summer treat!

8 Kommentare:

  1. Both your loaf and muffins look delicious!

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. I just love that first photo with the heart bottom!

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. Looks delish! Thanks for baking along with me this week. Have a great day.

    AntwortenLöschen
  4. Great pictures all around! I think the little hearts are very cute.

    AntwortenLöschen
  5. the little hearts are so cute!

    AntwortenLöschen
  6. Die Kuchen sind sehr schön. It is really all about how they taste anyway. And these were good.

    AntwortenLöschen
  7. I thought that looked like a heart in the top picture! I'm happy to hear that this was a success in your office. I like plain and simple cakes too.

    AntwortenLöschen
  8. What a great idea to bake this as a loaf cake. Your co-workers are very lucky indeed!

    AntwortenLöschen