Montag, 21. Juni 2010

TWD - Dressy Chocolate Loafcake

Yuhu, and after some weeks of skipping Tuesdays with Dorie, I am back on track! (ok, it was not that long, but I had premade the last blog entry, the White Chocolate Brownies, and the last weeks were crazy, crazy, crazy at work, so I had not a minute time to bake)

Amy of Amy Ruth Bakes decided on Dressy Chocolate Loafcake (to be found on her page or on pages 286 and 287 in Dorie Greenspans book ). This was an incredible good pick for me to come back to the baking world, because it was not too difficutl to make, even if it is called "dressy". In fact, the batter itself is very classic and easy. What did frightend me a bit was the cutting thing.

Since the first real TWD-recipe I ever made, the Chocolate Caramel Chestnut Cake, I know I'm not very good at cutting my cake. First, because I am impatient and can't wait until the cake reaches room temperature. But if you don't wai,t you risk the cake to be too soft and fall in pieces. And you can't really fill the cake anyways, because the cream or spread will either be absorbed by the warm, soft cake, or liquify and run over the edges.
And secondly, I am not a very good cutter. In fact - cutting is not the real problem, but straight lines are. I am physically incapable of drawing a straight line and don't ask for straight cuts in paper, or wood or cakes. That has already been the abrupt ending of my career-aspirations as an architect. (That, and that I can't count and calculate. Don't ask me what drove me to want to be an architect when I was insschool...)

But back to the Chocolate Loafcake.
Frosting a cake is also not a thing I am an expert in, and this was also only the second time I frosted a cake after the CCC-Cake. Despite some difficulties I somehow managed to cover the whole cake, and topped my mini-test piece with the frosting. I opted for using creamcheese despite of sour cream, and it was an excellent choice!
 But I was not very happy with the result, because chocolate cake with chocolate frosting does look boring somehow (boring cake on the left). But I found a way to dress up the dressy cake a bit... (not so boring cake on the right)


The verdict of my colleagues was "very good", and I guess the sourcream really makes the difference in this cake. So when I need a good and easy chocolate cake recipe, I would always come back to this one!

6 Kommentare:

  1. I love your little pink hearts..way to dress it up! I told my kids they can add some jam on top if they want it dressy!

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Welcome back! Ich liebe die Hertzen auf Ihre Kuchen!

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. aww looks like valentine's day! I like this so much I made 2: Bundt & Loaf cakes

    AntwortenLöschen
  4. Cute with the pink hearts for decoration! Chocolate cream cheese icing sounds good!

    AntwortenLöschen
  5. Its always nice to start back to baking with an easy peasy recipe. I agree. Glad it worked out for you and thank you so much for baking along with me this week. Darling little sprinkles on your cake top.
    AmyRuth

    AntwortenLöschen
  6. I love the decorative touch you have added and your cake looks moist. The white choc brownie was also my "last" bake but unlike you, I've not been able to get back into the TWD groove yet. :-(
    Great work!

    AntwortenLöschen